Isaiah 40:28-29

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the EVERLASTING GOD, the creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

surgery number two

Now most of you know that I am the type of guy who likes to "go big or go home." I don't usually like to do things small. So I guess when it comes to my back (and all the problems it loves to give me) I shouldn't be surprised when it follows that same line of thinking. A few weeks ago, if you remember, I had really bad pain and could neither stand up straight or walk normally. During that time I made a doctor's appointment with a neurosurgeon which was scheduled for this last Thursday. Even though my back has been feeling better I decided to go ahead and go through with the appointment just to check on things and see how my calf (and the fact that it doesn't work) are coming along. I had another MRI last week (3rd in nine months) and on Thursday at the neurosurgeon's he took one look at the results and basically said that I need another surgery and probably sooner than later. Apparently one of the two discs that were operated on last December has either totally ruptured or prolapsed (those were the words he used) and the only way to fix it is surgery. He showed me the MRI results and sure enough...there was a pretty decent size explosion of black stuff where there should be white stuff. He said that particular disc appears to be worse than it was before the original procedure. So as of right now, I am scheduled for another back surgery on Tuesday (Monday U.S. time) where the doctor will basically perform the same surgery I had done in December again. He also said that it wasn't that my first surgery went wrong or anything....there is just a 1 in 10 chance of this happening with type of surgery. I asked him if I have this second surgery is it still those type of odds after this one and he said that there is still a risk of it happening again but that he can also do a few more "preventative measures" since it has already happened once.

The good news in all of this is that in December I had two discs operated on and this time only one of them is giving me trouble. The lowest one is healing great and that the doctor said that is the one that affects the nerves which affect my left calf. He said that I "probably" would regain full use of my leg and that the nerves are still in the process of healing. He has also prescribed physical therapy after my surgery for both my back as well as my leg which will hopefully speed along that process.

So yes, it is all very exciting over here. The current plan is for me to be in the hospital for at least a couple days and then probably another two weeks of laying in a bed. Our base is hosting a huge National Leaders Meeting in one week and everyone on base is having to shuffle living arrangements to make room for almost 150 more people to stay here for about 9 days. Many of us will even be living in tents for the week! So my little surgery comes at a fairly inconvenient time and we are still trying to figure out where I will be staying and how I am going to be taken care of with all the added responsibilities that come with a event of this size. But it will work out and I have plenty of friends who have already volunteered to cater to my every need (those are more my words than theirs) and there are incredible people here so I know I will be well cared for and in the very best of hands.

The big issue I am facing today and tomorrow is trying to get all the insurance stuff squared away. I have a type of medical insurance over here as well as insurance back in the states but trying to coordinate them is no small task. Especially in basically three days. If you could keep that whole situation in your prayers..that would be great. Pray especially that there is no difficulties, that they accept my claim, and that I am covered!

Through all of this, God continues to be faithful. Although it is not super fun to go through... there are many bright sides to this story. One is that I am no longer covered by my primary insurance when I turn 25 which happens in July. It is good that I can get all this over with (hopefully) before then. That is pretty big. I have also been chosen to staff the same school (DTS) that I did last year which also starts in July. I will tell all of you more about that soon but it is also really good I can get this done before then as well. Staffing a DTS is a pretty major thing and it is so good that I can get this done before that begins. And I'm surrounded by so many people who are just begging to take care of me! haha! So even through the tough times, God continues to use His timing and I know He is faithful to get me through this. I am certain he has called me here and even though I do not always understand how things work....that's ok. He's got it covered. That makes my life a whole lot less stressful.

I will keep you all posted on how everything goes. Thank you so much for your prayers!

0 comments:

A Football Game Brings Hope

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP